OK, it’s time for a little motivation. Yesterday I was on the phone with one of my coaches (yes, this coach has three coaches) who quoted Bruce Lee – the master of martial arts, actor, and philosopher from the 1960’s and 70s. It made me reminisce about the action films I loved in my pre-teens.
Bruce Lee was best known for his superior martial arts skills, however he also had keen wit and – as I can now best appreciate, was a fountain of inspiration.
If you need a little motivation, or simply a hard kick in the butt – here are some of Bruce Lee’s greatest quotes and how I believe it applies to your commercial real estate practice.
“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
– It is better to be a specialist than a generalist.
“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done. Make at least one definite move daily toward your goal.”
– Start every day with your main goal in mind and allocate the time to make progress toward that goal.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”
– Focus on what you do best, and what has the greatest impact on your production. Delegate everything else.
“To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.”
– Stop worrying about the real estate market, the political landscape, the financial markets, your broker, or any other excuse you are blaming your situation on. You are in control of you – now go make it happen.
“Choose the positive. You have choice, you are master of your attitude, choose the positive, the constructive. Optimism is a faith that leads to success.”
– I think this one is pretty straightforward.
I was going to insert a link to a Bruce Lee video, but then you would be on YouTube all day watching enter the dragon… spoiler alert: not even Chuck Norris can beat Bruce Lee – well, at least not in the movies. Sadly, Bruce Lee died in 1973, at the young age of 32 from an acute reaction to a painkiller. His words continue to motivate and inspire.
Rod, what a great article. As a hugh Bruce Lee fan also this made me share it with my team! Bruce Lee is also fashioned as saying “A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. ” He was a master, entertainer, and unrelenting. My commercial business should be as driven in one direction as he was!
“It’s like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don’t focus on the finger or you will miss all of the heavenly glory”
* Try not to be stuck in your head, instead focus on the bigger picture.