I am asked frequently “Why don’t you start your own brokerage firm?” My answer is simple – I love what I do. I own (what I believe is) the best commercial real estate coaching company in the world, and am surrounded by great people. The better question would be “If you were to start a commercial real estate brokerage company, how would you do it?”
In my last blog (the 2nd in this series), I outlined the critical steps I would take during my recruiting process. Today, in the 3rd part of this series, I am going to share some questions I would ask my potential team member to ensure I recruit team members that (not only) produce, but also enhance the team culture.
Over the years, we have found that the best interview questions provide insight to the key traits we are seeking. To achieve this, we have consistently relied on questions suggested by Biznet Human Asset Management.
When testing for short term goals, possible questions include:
- What were your annual goals for last year?
- How did you develop these goals, and how did you keep on target?
When evaluating ambition, possible questions include:
- What sorts of things have you done to become better in your career?
- What impact did you have on your team in your last position?
- What are you doing to sustain your success?
When looking for persuasiveness, possible questions include:
- Have you ever had to persuade a client or group to accept a proposal or idea? How did you go about doing it, and what was the result?
- How did you get a peer, colleague, or client to accept one of your ideas?
When inquiring about that all-important component of assertiveness, possible questions include:
- What is the most competitive situation you have experienced? How did you handle it and what was the result?
- What was the riskiest decision you have ever made?
- What projects have you started on your own recently and what prompted you to start it?
As you can see, asking the right interview questions will go a long way in filtering out the wrong candidates and identifying the better prospects.
What questions do you have about building a commercial real estate brokerage team that would dominate, not only today – but in the future? Leave a comment and extend this conversation.
If you would like to schedule a free strategy session to learn how you can grow your personal commercial real estate practice, please visit us at massimoCRE.coach!